Hit and miss (in the gift economy)

Friday, May 4, 2012

I walked for two hours today with my mushroom brush, Zero (Jack Russell) and an empty basket, hiking through various types of forest from eucalypt to pine and mixed species that surround the town. Foraging is so hit and miss, which is what I love about it. I like that nothing is guaranteed and that it's based on chance and perception. I was ready to head home when I decided to push on down a little creek-hugging track where I scored some rather aging but still edible saffron milk caps (Lactarius deliciosus) and wood blewits (Lepista nuda). 

Then coming through the bush on the edge of town I spotted a laden fig tree (black genoa, I think), and asked my near neighbour if I could take some. He obliged and I happily returned home with a basket half brimming with uncapitalised goodness. I'll drop some 'shrooms off to him shortly, on a day I get a bigger haul. 

As the mushrooms were quite wet from last night's rain I dried them out in a low oven before I added them to a garden soup of leeks, potatoes, mustard greens, parsley, warrigal greens, spring onions and chickweed. The figs are a surprise gift for my beautiful and pregnant Meg. Happy days!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meg's expecting? yay! congratulation guys, this is diego, in the latest reincarnation of foraging as art, we've been so lucky with mushies, keep taking 20+ groups into forests to come back with enough for all.
Happy to hear you well AaF!!

:)

Permapoesis said...

hey diego, good to hear from you. will check out wild stories. x

Newspaper by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP